The Education Trust, the nation’s premier advocacy organization working to improve educational opportunities for low-income students and students of color, seeks an Accounting Manager to support the work of the organization’s Operations and Strategic Leadership division.
The Education Trust has a current operating budget of approximately $22 million. We are seeking a talented and experienced senior level financial professional to engage, motivate, and lead others in ensuring a high degree of financial accountability and performance to support the organization’s mission and work. The individual will report to the Director of Finance/Controller.
While the position is located at our headquarters in Washington, DC, Ed Trust also has offices and substantial operations in California, Michigan, and New York that need support.
The Education Trust is a national nonprofit that works to close opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color and students from low-income families. Through our research and advocacy, Ed Trust supports efforts that expand excellence and equity in education from preschool through college, increase college access and completion particularly for historically underserved students, engage diverse communities dedicated to education equity, and increase political and public will to act on equity issues.
The Accounting Manager’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain general ledger accounts, including extensive account analyses and bank reconciliations
- Manage the month-end close process including, but not limited to the preparation and posting of the subsidiary ledgers, and general journal postings
- Manage the preparation of monthly departmental financials/forecasts
- Manage accounts payable function, ensuring invoices are processed timely and accurately
- Manage 1099 preparation process and ensure timely submission to IRS and vendors
- Manage corporate credit-card accounts, including, but not limited to: payments, credit line increases, activating/deactivating, and reconciliation
- Manage account receivables, including, but not limited to: invoicing, tracking of long-term and one-time contracts, billing of clients as contracted, reports to managers, and following-up on delinquent accounts
- Manage cash receipts, including, but not limited to: reconciliation of deposit information and posting to the general ledger, tracking of cash account balance, recording of incoming wires
- Maintain and update finance policy and procedures manual
- Manage lobbying report filings and tracking of expenses
- Manage tax reporting for DC, MI, NY, CA, and other locations as needed (when applicable)
- Process payroll using ADP payroll system
- Assist with the annual financial statement and pension plan audit processes
- Assist with preparation of the annual $22M organization-wide budget, as well as individual department and state office budgets
- Prepare reports for board meetings, senior leadership, and staff as needed
- Supervise Staff Accountant
- Continuously expand knowledge and capability to meet the organization’s growing needs
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of 5 to 7 years of experience in similar positions of responsibility
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- Payroll processing experience required
- Knowledge of and experience with accounting software, including QuickBooks
- Capacity to work effectively in a support function in a program-oriented, mission- driven organization with a diverse portfolio of work
- Excellent time and task management skills.
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence
- Healthy respect for colleagues
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented
- Strong sense of honor and integrity
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills, with a history of achieving superior results
- Enthusiastic, inquisitive, and energetic
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.