About the Organization and the Opportunity
The Education Trust (Ed Trust) seeks a Development Assistant to join the organization’s Development Team. The Development Assistant will join a staff at Ed Trust who are committed to fulfilling a mission of closing opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color and students from low-income backgrounds.
The Development Assistant supports fundraising through grants and individual donors to meet annual budget goals and position the organization for long-term sustainability. Through database management, coordination and planning, and team support, the Development Assistant plays a key role in ensuring that the Development team functions smoothly and efficiently and is well-positioned to deliver on the organization’s mission of advancing educational equity.
Ed Trust is committed to advancing policies and practices to dismantle the racial and economic barriers embedded in the U.S. education system. Through our research and advocacy, Ed Trust improves equity in education from preschool through college, engages diverse communities dedicated to equity and justice, and increases political and public will to build an education system where all students will thrive.
Available immediately, this role is based in our Washington, D.C. office and is eligible for telework for up to 3 days a week. The Development Assistant reports to the Chief Development Officer.
About the Role
Major responsibilities of the Development Assistant include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Administer the Salesforce database to maintain institutional knowledge and generate information to inform fundraising activities, including data entry, reporting, providing user support and training, improving data quality, and customizing the user interface
- Process all grant awards and acknowledgements in coordination with relevant teams (e.g., Finance, program teams)
- Coordinate the Development deadlines calendar in Asana
- Assist the Development team with organizing documentation for grant deliverables and meeting preparation
- Schedule and manage an active calendar of appointments for the Chief Development Officer, prioritizing incoming requests in alignment with the primary objectives of the organization and the CDO, coordinating daily agendas, and updating the calendar to include pertinent information
- Arrange and coordinate travel (including itineraries, logistical details, transportation, and lodging) and collaborate with other departments (e.g., CEO’s office, Communications, Policy and Research) to leverage the Development team’s time for other key in-person meetings while travelling
- Process department vendor contracts and agreements, invoices, check requests, and expense reports for the finance team
- Assist the Development team in scheduling, coordinating logistics, and assembling and disseminating materials for events, conferences, and meetings
- Keep abreast of best practices in fundraising and donor database management
Ideal Skills and Characteristics
- Shared belief in Ed Trust’s mission and a commitment to improving educational equity with a focus on racial equity
- Dedication in contributing to and maintaining an equitable working environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Time management skills, including being able to organize time to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Willingness to receive and act upon, as well as provide, constructive feedback
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- At least a high school diploma or GED; bachelor’s degree preferred
- Experience with Salesforce or other similar CRM system preferred
- Demonstrated interest in the nonprofit sector and fundraising
Compensation & Benefits
The annual salary for this position starts at $48,000 and will be commensurate with experience.
The Education Trust prioritizes the health and well-being of its employees and, to that end, offers a highly competitive benefits package. Medical, dental and vision insurance are covered at 100% for the employee, with significant coverage also offered for spouses, domestic partners, and dependents. We provide sick leave, vacation leave, and personal leave, and we follow the federal government for most holiday closures. To ensure staff have synchronous opportunities for rest and renewal, the office is closed for a week-long summer break and a week-long winter break. Among other offerings, we provide an Employee Assistance Program at no cost to the employee, and a generous 7% contribution opportunity on a 403(b)-retirement plan.