Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Development Associate will support individual and institutional fundraising efforts through processing grant proposals, donations, and grant agreements; maintaining the donor database; preparing and editing gift acknowledgment and grant-related documents; and assisting with internal grants management processes. The Development Associate will work cross-departmentally to ensure fundraising strategies are tracked and executed successfully.
The position will be located at our headquarters in Washington, D.C.
The Education Trust is a national nonprofit that works to close opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color and students from low-income families. Through our research and advocacy, Ed Trust supports efforts that expand excellence and equity in education from preschool through college; increase college access and completion, particularly for historically underserved students; engage diverse communities dedicated to education equity; and increase political and public will to act on equity issues.
- Manage all aspects of the donor acknowledgment process in conjunction with the finance department;
- Manage grants and individual donor records in Salesforce and document internal best practices and training materials on database use;
- Engage with the development team to create grant production schedules;
- Assist the development team prepare high-quality letters of interest, grant proposals, reports, and other materials that are responsive to donor guidelines and assist with drafting and compiling grant-related documents (i.e., attachments, cover letters) for proposal submission;
- Process all grant awards and coordinate grant kick-off meetings with internal program leaders;
- Conduct development-related research, including individual donor and grant prospecting;
- Create and produce fundraising reports that describe the progress and effectiveness of Ed Trust fundraising campaigns;
- Assist the donor communications team with donor communication efforts; and
- Other duties as appropriate.
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or 2-4 years of relevant experience in a development support capacity;
- Database management experience preferred, preferably Salesforce or other CRM;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite;
- Attention to detail and ability to manage multiple competing deadlines and balance quickly shifting priorities;
- Proven project management and follow-through skills to see tasks through completion;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to work well with others throughout the organization;
- An interest in fund development, networking, and relationship building; and
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for students from low-income backgrounds and students of color.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.