The Education Trust, one of the nation’s premier education advocacy organizations, is seeking a Director of Human Resources to support the work of the organization’s division of Operations and Strategic Leadership.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Director of Human Resources will lead the human resources team by overseeing the recruitment and hiring process, benefit administration, employee relations, organizational health and culture, and ensuring smooth and efficient internal human resources management on a day-to-day basis.
The Education Trust is a national nonprofit that works to close opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color and students from low-income backgrounds. Through our research and advocacy, Ed Trust supports efforts that expand excellence and equity in education from preschool through college; increase college access and completion, particularly for historically underserved students; engage diverse communities dedicated to education equity; and increase political and public will to act on equity issues.
The Director of Human Resources responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Developing and supervising a strong, effective human resources team committed to creating systems and implementing best practices to achieve annual goals and objectives that are aligned with the organization’s strategic framework and core values while ensuring the highest level of security for employee data
- Driving recruitment and hiring efforts for all personnel, including implementing effective and efficient strategies to attract, onboard, and retain top talent across all Ed Trust offices in a highly competitive environment
- Providing guidance and support to staff on the frontlines of our state advocacy work, including offices in Michigan, New York, and California, to ensure consistency and legal compliance of HR policy and procedures throughout the organization. Some travel is required
- Serving as a strategic thought partner to the COO in order to enhance employee engagement and professional development, effectively handle personnel issues, and ensure continuous improvement with regard to organizational health and culture
- Leading an HR team that works across state offices to maintain and update personnel policies and procedures for compliance purposes and make recommendations for changes aligned with organizational core values and goals
- Overseeing benefits and compensation program administration including open enrollment and 403(b)audit
- Ensuring all job descriptions and organizational charts are kept current
- Leading the performance management process including administering tools for conducting performance evaluations, annual goal setting, professional development planning and the merit process
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a human resources management role
- Knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, recruitment, benefit administration; talent management, development, and engagement; and employee relations
- An individual who will foster a culture of engagement and empowerment that values diversity and demonstrates fair and consistent management practices
- A self-starter with a high degree of energy and meticulous attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong team-building and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop professional relationships with staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate in a tactful, diplomatic manner, while developing trust and credibility with staff at all levels
- Superb organizational and time-management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook).
- Experience with ADP is a plus
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, and manage multiple priorities effectively
- A strong strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to anticipate issues and opportunities and develop appropriate solutions
- Must be trustworthy, dependable and able to handle highly confidential information with discretion
- A bachelor’s degree and certification in human resource management preferred. A graduate degree in a related field is a plus
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for students of color and students from low-income backgrounds
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence
- Healthy respect for colleagues
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented
- Strong sense of honor and integrity
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.