The Education Trust, one of the nation’s premier education advocacy organizations, is seeking a Human Resources Director to support the work of the organization’s division of Operations and Strategic Leadership. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and managing a small team of 1-2 people / consultants, this position Develop our people strategy and lead all HR functions. In this role, you will be a trusted leader, an innovator of HR initiatives that drive employee engagement and equitable outcomes, and a process improver who will streamline HR systems and processes. The HR Director will be able to both create a vision as well as implement in “hands on” ways.
The Education Trust is a national nonprofit that works to close opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color and students from low-income backgrounds. Through our research and advocacy, Ed Trust supports efforts that expand excellence and equity in education from preschool through college; increase college access and completion, particularly for historically underserved students; engage diverse communities dedicated to education equity; and increase political and public will to act on equity issues.
The Human Resources Director responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- HR Strategy: In collaboration with COO setting the direction for all key HR areas including prioritizing & sequencing initiatives to improve the function.
- Equity: Ensuring that racial justice, diversity, equity and inclusion is woven into all talent-related activities and overseeing HR initiatives to advance internal equity and inclusion.
- HR Department Oversight: Managing HR staff and HR consultants, as needed, to ensure support of staff in DC headquarters as well as state offices in Michigan, New York, and California and members of the Partnerships and Engagement teams working in other states. Some travel is required.
- Governance & Compliance: Setting and enforcing legally compliant HR policies, procedures, and best practices, ensuring ongoing compliance with federal, state and local employment laws, regulations, and requirements.
- Systems & Processes: Identifying and implementing technology and processes to maximize HR effectiveness and enhance employee experience.
- Recruiting & Onboarding: Implementing, leading, and maintaining best practices, processes, and procedures to drive the recruitment and hiring efforts across all Ed Trust offices, including strategies to attract, select and onboard top talent.
- Talent Management: Leading performance and talent management processes including administering tools for conducting timely and effective performance evaluations, annual goal setting, professional development planning, training and development, career pathing, etc.
- Compensation & Benefits: Collaborate with COO to design and manage compensation, recognition, rewards and benefit programs.
- Employee Relations: Working with the COO and outside resources to ensure employee relations issues are handled efficiently and effectively.
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of 8-10 years of experience in a human resources management or support role.
- Knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, recruitment, benefit administration; talent management, development, and engagement; and some employee relations experience
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP Certification preferred
- A self-starter with a high degree of energy and meticulous attention to detail and follow-through.
- Strong team-building and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop professional relationships with staff.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate in a tactful, diplomatic manner, while developing trust and credibility with staff at all levels.
- Superb organizational and time-management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook). Experience with ADP is a plus.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, and manage multiple priorities effectively.
- An individual that values diversity and demonstrates fair and consistent management practices.
- Must be trustworthy, dependable and able to handle highly confidential information with discretion.
- A bachelor’s degree and certification in human resource management preferred. A graduate degree in a related field is a plus.
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for students of color and students from low-income backgrounds
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence
- Healthy respect for colleagues
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented
- Strong sense of honor and integrity
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please provide a cover letter and resume to be considered for this position. You must combine your cover letter and resume into one document and upload that document. Our application system will not allow you to upload more than one file.
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.