The Education Trust, one of the nation’s premier education advocacy organizations, is seeking a Human Resources Manager to support the work of the organization’s division of Operations and Strategic Leadership. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and managing a team of 1-2 people this position will lead the smooth and efficient day-to-day functions of the human resources team including full-cycle recruitment, orientation and onboarding, performance management, benefits and wellness, professional development, and compliance with applicable employment laws and regulations.
The Education Trust is a national nonprofit that works to close opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color and students from low-income backgrounds. Through our research and advocacy, Ed Trust supports efforts that expand excellence and equity in education from preschool through college; increase college access and completion, particularly for historically underserved students; engage diverse communities dedicated to education equity; and increase political and public will to act on equity issues.
The Human Resources Manager responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Implement, lead, and maintain best practices, processes, and procedures to drive the recruitment and hiring efforts across all Ed Trust offices, including strategies to attract, onboard, and retain top talent
- Work closely with the finance team on payroll and benefit administration including open enrollment and annual 403(b) audit, and effectively lead the onboarding and offboarding of employees in collaboration with the hiring manager and the operations team
- Provide guidance and support to staff in our state offices in Michigan, New York, and California and members of the Partnerships and Engagement teams working in other states, to ensure consistency of HR policies, procedures, processes, and legal compliance throughout the organization. Some travel is required
- Manage a strong, effective human resources team committed to creating systems and implementing best practices to achieve annual goals and objectives that are aligned with the organization’s strategic framework and core values
- Ensures that diversity, equity and inclusion is woven into all HR and talent-related activities
- Lead performance and talent management processes including administering tools for conducting timely and effective performance evaluations, annual goal setting, professional development planning, training and development, career pathing, etc.
- Work with the COO and outside resources to effectively handle employee relations issues
- Ensure all personnel files, policies and procedures are updated on a regular basis for compliance purposes, job descriptions and organizational charts are kept current, and make recommendations for policy and procedural changes aligned with organizational core values and goals
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- A minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a human resources management with supervisory experience preferred
- Knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, recruitment, benefit administration; talent management, development, and engagement; and some employee relations experience
- A self-starter with a high degree of energy and meticulous attention to detail and follow-through
- Strong team-building and interpersonal skills with the ability to develop professional relationships with staff
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate in a tactful, diplomatic manner, while developing trust and credibility with staff at all levels
- Superb organizational and time-management skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook). Experience with ADP is a plus
- Ability to work independently, prioritize, and manage multiple priorities effectively
- An individual that values diversity and demonstrates fair and consistent management practices
- Must be trustworthy, dependable and able to handle highly confidential information with discretion
- A bachelor’s degree and certification in human resource management preferred. A graduate degree in a related field is a plus
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for students of color and students from low-income backgrounds
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence
- Healthy respect for colleagues
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented
- Strong sense of honor and integrity
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.