The Education Trust, one of one of the nation’s premier advocacy organizations working to improve educational opportunity and raise achievement for low-income students and students of color, seeks a Senior National and State Partnerships Associate.
The Senior Associate will work collaboratively with colleagues on the Partnerships and Engagement, P12, Higher Ed, and Communications teams to engage and support diverse partners to demand and secure equity-advancing policy change.
We are fierce advocates for the high academic achievement of all students — pre-kindergarten through college, particularly those of color or living in poverty. Many organizations speak up for the adults employed by schools; Ed Trust speaks up for the students, especially those whose needs and potential are often overlooked. Through both research and advocacy, our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement that consign far too many young people — especially those from low-income families or who are Black, Latino, or Native American — to lives on the margins of the American mainstream. We work alongside educators, policymakers, community and business leaders, and parents across the country in transforming schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our state and national policy agendas.
For additional information on The Education Trust, please visit edtrust.org.
- Cultivate and develop relationships with representatives of business, civil rights, social justice, disability rights, immigrant rights, education reform, equity-focused educator, postsecondary student, and parent/community organizations in selected states
- Support the development of coalitions/partnerships to identify priority areas based on local opportunity and context in selected states, and take action on equity-advancing policy issues such as ESSA implementation, evidence-based school improvement, resource equity, teacher diversity and quality, access to high-quality early childhood education, access to and success in rigorous coursework, effective, equitable discipline and student supports, successful transitions from K-12 to college and careers, and postsecondary access, affordability, and completion
- Generate strategic analyses of needs and opportunities to advance equity in selected states
- Create advocacy collateral (toolkits, letters, blogs, etc.) designed to support and advance state partnerpriorities
- Support coalition members in taking concrete, strategic advocacy actions (providing testimony, meeting with state policymakers, hosting trainings, etc.) to advance coalition priorities
- Contribute to an Ed Trust-led, multi-state network of state equity advocates through convenings, webinars, and newsletters
- Ensure state partner participation in the network of state equity coalitions
- Represent state advocacy work with Ed Trust audiences, including policymakers, media, philanthropists, and other advocacy partners
- Communicate about state advocacy efforts to Ed Trust colleagues, including colleagues at Ed Trust-West, Ed Trust-Midwest, and Ed Trust-New York
- Manage interns to support strategic priorities
- 4+ years of relevant professional work experience in community outreach, coalition-building and advocacy
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing equity for low-income students and students of color
- Demonstrated success in generating advocacy-relevant tools and materials
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse partners
- Ability and willingness to elevate partner voices above your own
- Ability to track, synthesize, and communicate about a wide range of information, including information about state landscapes and partner perspectives
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly
- Ability to multitask
- Strong organization skills
- Ability to lead through shifting timelines, priorities, and contexts
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.