The Education Trust, one of the nation’s premiere education advocacy organizations working to improve educational opportunity and raise achievement for students of color and low-income students, seeks a Senior Editor/Writer to join our Communications Team.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Senior Editor/Writer will both create and help shape the organization’s diverse written content, ranging from data-rich research papers and policy briefs to online content, promotional materials, and communications collateral. At the Education Trust, we believe in the power of words to advance our mission to close opportunity gaps, and the editor/writer will play an essential role in making sure those words are accessible to those who are committed to doing this work.
The Senior Editor/Writer’s primary responsibility is to work closely with members of the communications team to ensure the clarity and accuracy of the Education Trust’s written products. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Edit (substantive and copy-edit), proofread, and fact-check a wide array of online and print documents such that they are clearly written, accessible, and error-free.
- Write timely, engaging, and accurate blog posts, and other online content to advance the organization’s policy agenda and mission.
- Report for and contribute to a variety of editorial products, including speeches, talking points, policy briefs, research reports, advocacy and marketing materials, web and social media content.
- Maintain, monitor, and help manage our blog, The Equity Line
- Efficiently lead and manage editorial and production process for written products.
- Interpret data-rich materials and work with designers and authors to create high-quality, informative, and reader-friendly info
- Work effectively and collaboratively with colleagues across the organization to help them improve their writing. May include coordinating and delivering in-house writing and editing workshops for select staff.
- Manage in-house style guide and promote awareness of guidelines throughout the organization.
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of eight years of experience in writing and editing. Journalism experience covering K-12 and higher education, public policy, and social justice is preferred. Prior work in a policy and/or advocacy organization is a plus.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and a superior command of English grammar and punctuation.
- Strong command of Associated Press and Chicago styles.
- Experience working with complex data and translating it for lay audiences
- Experience working with content management systems, particularly WordPress.
- Demonstrated capacity to thrive in a high-performing and highly collaborative environment.
- Proven success with managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Flexible, organized, and highly responsive.
- Commitment to organizational mission.
- Ability to read, write, and edit Spanish is a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.