The Senior Accountant will be a valued member of Ed Trust’s Finance and Accounting team. The team is responsible for providing accurate and timely financial information, to the organization as a whole, as well as training and guiding staff on finance-related matters.
The Senior Accountant must be able to provide leadership within the accounting team, to work collaboratively with the team, and to be a leading source of trusted financial advice. The Senior Accountant also plays a critical role in maintaining transparency, effective internal controls and financial reporting in conformance with U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
The Education Trust is a national nonprofit that works to close opportunity gaps that disproportionally affect students of color and students from low-income families. Through our research and advocacy, Ed Trust supports efforts that expand excellence and equity in education from preschool through college; increase college access and completion, particularly for historically underserved students; engage diverse communities dedicated to education equity; and increase political and public will to act on equity issues.
- Responsible for coordinating and supervising daily accounting functions, including all receipts, disbursements and cash flow management. Oversight for entire general ledger and aiding with preparation of financial statements, pro forma reports, and other accounting analysis
- Preparation of monthly and annual closing schedules and closing procedures
- Assist with the day-to-day maintenance of financial information software systems (Bill.com, Certify, Intacct)
- Process payroll and submits payroll file to ADP on a semi-monthly basis
- Collaborate with HR Team on benefits, timesheets, taxes and other payroll-related matters
- Reconcile the Quarterly Form 941 to the General Ledger
- Prepare all journal entries according to GAAP, bank reconciliations, corporate credit card reconciliation, audit schedules, and monthly close procedures
- Assist with the preparation of the organization’s Form 990 and 990-T; preparing financial documentation for tax preparers, and participating in the internal draft review process to ensure timely filing.
- Assist with the annual auditing process, to include both preliminary work and year-end audit engagements. This includes interacting and complying with auditor requests, assisting with the preparation and review of all audit schedules and financial statement drafts, including associated accruals or audit journal entry adjustments
- Research and understand complex accounting/tax/legal concepts and principles associated with various organizational forms
- Ensure all records related to accounting activities are properly recorded retained in accordance with the organization’s document retention policy
- Assist with implementation of Intacct, revision of new finance handbook and staff training
- Support the Director of Finance in various accounting projects as assigned
Education: bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field.
Communication: Excellent writing, presentation and public speaking skills. Ability to receive and provide constructive criticism aimed at achieving high-performance standards.
Experience: 3 to 6 years of general accounting and/or nonprofit tax experience, at least 2 years in the nonprofit industry
Computer: Experience with Intacct, Bill.com, Certify, and ADP preferred. Must be proficient with MS Office products such as Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint; must be familiar with hardware and software tools which aid in streamlining accounting tasks and speed financial reporting and analysis
- Understand and support The Education Trust mission and vision, and the department’s goals and objectives
- Full knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, audit routines and processes.
- Must have working knowledge of nonprofit accounting, month-end close processes and payroll
- Ability to lead and manage multiple staff members and skill levels
- Trustworthy, discreet, driven
- Must embrace working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.