The Education Trust, one of the nation’s premier advocacy organizations working to improve educational opportunity and raise achievement for low-income students and students of color, seeks a Louisiana State Director.
The Education Trust is a national nonprofit that works to close opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color and students from low-income families. Through our research and advocacy, Ed Trust supports efforts that expand excellence and equity in education from preschool through college; increase college access and completion, particularly for historically underserved students; engage diverse communities dedicated to education equity; and increase political and public will to act on equity issues. For additional information on The Education Trust, please visit www.edtrust.org.
- Lead the identification, development and execution of strategic policy goals to advance Ed Trust’s impact in the state with an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Recruit, develop, and manage a high impact Louisiana-based team in a supportive and healthy work environment.
- Direct the management of a high impact team to support Ed Trust’s agenda in Louisiana who can:
- establish and advance a regional strategy for achieving educational equity;
- support advocacy partners and stakeholders in elevating statewide policy positions consistent with Ed Trust research and policy agendas; and,
- generate visibility for such priorities through convenings and multiple communications efforts.
Coalition Cultivation and Expansion
- Cultivate and expand membership in a diverse partnership of Louisiana advocacy organizations and stakeholders working to increase educational opportunity and achievement among historically underserved students.
- Regularly convene and facilitate partners to identify shared priorities and plan for action to advance those priorities based on local opportunity and context, and reflect key equity-advancing issues such as:
- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) implementation, evidence-based school improvement, resource equity, teacher diversity and quality, high-quality early childhood education, access to and success in rigorous coursework, effective, equitable discipline and student supports, and successful transitions from PreK-12 to college and careers;
- Access, quality, accountability, and completion in areas related to college and career readiness.
- Access to effective and diverse educator workforce.
- Ensure participation of advocacy organizations and education stakeholders in Ed Trust-led multi-state network coalitions, such as in-person meetings and webinars.
- Support advocacy organizations and education stakeholders in taking concrete, strategic advocacy actions (e.g., providing testimony, meeting with state policymakers, designing and executing communications campaigns, stakeholder mobilizations; leadership development, etc.) to advance policy priorities.
- Lead the identification and development of an equity-based PreK-12 and higher education policy agenda with partners that reflects the needs of students of color and students from low-income families in the state.
- Oversee the development and dissemination of policy content that is aligned with the Education Trust values and reflects the needs of students of color and students from low-income families in the state.
- Identify funding opportunities with Chief Development Officer and cultivate in-state funding relationships to secure a sustainable funding stream for ET’s presence in Louisiana that supports the work of the partner-driven policy agenda.
- Initiate and respond to grant opportunities that will support ET’s agenda in Louisiana.
- Manage and report activities and deliverables based on grant deadlines and agreements.
- At least 3 years of experience and a demonstrated track record of advocating for opportunity and achievement for low-income students and students of color;
- At least 7 years of experience executing fundraising strategy with strong results that lead to program sustainability
- At least 7 years of management experience which includes:
- Cultivating a strong sense of organizational culture that centers diversity and equity and is consistent with our mission and values
- Leading a team to successful organizational outcomes
- Overseeing performance evaluations and professional development that encourages goal setting and values employee participation
- Creating and managing large project budgets
- Identifying and responding to grant opportunities
Masters, PhD, or other advanced degree & 7+ years of relevant work experience OR Bachelors & 10 years of relevant work experience + leadership certification OR 10+ years of relevant work experience + leadership certification.
- Strong relationships with leaders in Louisiana and New Orleans advocacy, education, and policy worlds, and the ability to leverage those relationships for action.
- Significant experience working in coalition, or strong working relationships with a cross- section of civil rights, education, and business groups, including playing a leading role, as well as leading from behind.
- Demonstrated success in communicating to a range of audiences, including policymakers, media, advocates, educators, families, community members, and business leaders.
- Demonstrated success working with the local media in a manner that will advance Ed Trust research and policy agenda.
- Demonstrated success designing and executing advocacy campaigns.
- Knowledge working with online project management and customer relationships management tools (i.e., Asana, Salesforce, EveryAction).
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.