The Education Trust, one of one of the nation’s premier advocacy organizations working to improve educational opportunity and raise achievement for low-income students and students of color, seeks a Texas State Director.
The Education Trust is a national nonprofit that works to close opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color and students from low-income families. Through our research and advocacy, Ed Trust supports efforts that expand excellence and equity in education from preschool through college; increase college access and completion, particularly for historically underserved students; engage diverse communities dedicated to education equity; and increase political and public will to act on equity issues. For additional information on The Education Trust, please visit www.edtrust.org
Coalition Cultivation and Expansion
- Cultivate and expand membership in a diverse coalition of Texas advocacy organizations and stakeholders working to increase educational opportunity and achievement among historically underserved students.
- Regularly convene and facilitate the coalition to identify shared priorities and plan for action to advance those priorities. Priority areas and actions will be based on local opportunity and context, but should reflect key equity-advancing issues such as:
- ESSA implementation, evidence-based school improvement, resource equity, teacher diversity and quality, access to high-quality early childhood education, access to and success in rigorous coursework, effective, equitable discipline and student supports, and successful transitions from PreK-12 to college and careers;
- Affordability, accountability, completion and innovation in higher education; and
- Access to higher education for justice-impacted individuals
- Ensure coalition participation in an Ed Trust-led multi-state network of state equity coalitions, such as in-person meetings and webinars.
- Support coalition members in taking concrete, strategic advocacy actions (providing testimony, meeting with state policymakers, designing and executing communications campaigns, stakeholder mobilizations; leadership development, etc.) to advance coalition priorities.
- Lead the development of an equity-based PreK-12 and higher education policy agenda with partners and coalition members that reflects the needs of students of color and students from low-income families in the state.
- Oversee the development and dissemination of policy content that is aligned with the Education Trust values and reflects the needs of students of color and students from low-income families in the state.
- Identify funding opportunities with Chief Development Officer and cultivate in-state funding relationships in order to secure a sustainable funding stream for ET’s presence in Texas and the work of the coalition.
- Initiate and respond to grant opportunities that will support ET’s agenda in Texas.
- Lead the development and execution of strategic goals to advance ET impact in the state
- Recruit, develop, and manage a Texas based team to support ET’s agenda in Texas who can:
- Establish and advance a regional strategy for achieving educational equity
- Support coalition in elevating statewide policy positions consistent with Ed Trust research and policy agendas
- Generate visibility for the coalition and its priorities through convenings and communications efforts
- At least 7 years of experience and a demonstrated track record of advocating for opportunity and achievement for low-income students and students of color;
- At least 7 years of experience executing fundraising strategy with strong results that lead to program sustainability
- At least 7 years of management experience which includes:
- Cultivating a strong sense of organizational culture that centers diversity and equity and is consistent with our mission and values
- Leading a team to successful organizational outcomes that prioritizes educational equity
- Overseeing performance evaluations and professional development that encourages goal setting and values employee participation
- Managing multi-million dollar project budgets
- Identifying grant opportunities and grant management activities
- Masters or PhD & 7+ years of relevant work experience OR Bachelors & 7-10 years of relevant work experience + leadership certification OR 10+ years of relevant work experience + leadership certification.
- Strong relationships with leaders in Texas advocacy, education, and policy worlds, and the ability to leverage those relationships for action.
- Significant experience working in coalition, or strong working relationships with a cross-section of civil rights, education, and business groups, including playing a leading role, as well as leading from behind.
- Demonstrated success in communicating to a range of audiences, including policymakers, the media, advocates, educators, families, community members; and business leaders.
- Demonstrated success working with the local media in a manner that will advance Ed Trust and coalition research and policy agenda.
- Demonstrated success designing and executing advocacy campaigns.
- Knowledge working with online project management tools and CRM (i.e., Asana, Salesforce, EveryAction).
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.