Based in Washington, D.C., the Writer, Office of the President/CEO will report to the Vice President of Communications, serve as a member of the Communications team, and work closely with the senior leadership team.
The Writer will be responsible for all aspects of crafting high-quality speeches and other outstanding written content for the President, CEO, and, on occasion, other members of the senior leadership team. This role is critical to advancing the Ed Trust’s mission by positioning senior leaders to deliver messages that are clear and compelling, tailored to reach target audiences, and able to be expressed authentically, all with the end goal of creating narrative and policy change.
Ed Trust is comprised of fierce advocates for the high academic achievement of all students — pre-kindergarten through college, particularly those of color or living in poverty. Through research and advocacy, Ed Trust’s goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement that affect millions of young people across the U.S. — especially students of color and those from low-income families. We work alongside educators, policymakers, parents, and community and business leaders across the country to advocate transforming schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, help shape our state and national policy agendas.
- Lead, with support from the VP of Communications, the direction, development, and execution of written materials for the president and/or CEO, including speeches, talking points, briefing documents, slide deck presentations, scripts, op-eds, blog posts, and other editorial content.
- Serve as primary contact for the president and/or CEO in planning for external remarks, which involves working with external organizers on logistics, setting time for prep calls, and ensuring final delivery of written materials and event logistics in advance of event.
- Work closely with President and CEO to draw out ideas and preferences and translate those into content that meets their needs as well as the organizations.
- Collaborate with Ed Trust research and policy staff to gather data & other material for crafting written products.
- Customize key messages for different audiences in support of advancing Ed Trust advocacy goals.
- Lead a comprehensive review process to ensure written materials for the president and/or CEO are aligned with organizational messages and positioning, incorporate the latest research from the Ed Trust and/or other respected sources, and include accurate citations.
- Occasionally coordinate with other writing contractors and freelancers, who help draft materials.
- Ensure materials are organized and categorized in such a manner that staff can access as needed.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- At least 4 years of experience in journalism, speechwriting, campaign, government, or advocacy communications.
- Outstanding writing skills and proven experience in a position with the responsibility of writing and editing of messages, reports, articles, briefing documents and other materials.
- Experience working closely with and writing for high-level executives.
- Ability to translate “wonky” research findings and policy recommendations into easily accessible, motivating content geared toward reaching key audiences and creating narrative and policy change.
- Ability to draft quality work on short-notice and tight timelines.
- Ability to quickly adapt to change in an often demanding and fast-paced environment
- Impeccable follow-through and attention to detail.
- Highly collaborative with ability to work with a variety of internal and external partners.
- Experience leading a collaborative writing and editing process and the ability to synthesize various voices into a cohesive document.
- Extensive knowledge of education policy, equity and social justice issues, preferred but not required.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please provide a cover letter and resume to be considered for this position. You must combine your cover letter and resume into one document and upload that document. Our application system will not allow you to upload more than one file.
At The Education Trust, the health and safety of our employees is of the utmost importance. As such, all Education Trust employees will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19, and new hires should be fully vaccinated prior to their first day of work. Requests for accommodations due to medical or religious reasons will be reviewed by Human Resources.
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.