The Education Trust, one of the nation’s premier advocacy organizations working to improve educational opportunity and raise achievement for low-income students and students of color, seeks a Senior Analyst to support the work of the organization’s division of P-12 Program and Policy.
Reporting to the Director of Resource Equity, the Senior Analyst will help to develop and implement the organization’s early childhood education agenda.
Washington, DC Office
The Education Trust is a nonprofit organization that promotes closing opportunity gaps by expanding excellence and equity in education for students of color and those from low-income families from pre-kindergarten through college. Through research and advocacy, the organization builds and engages diverse communities that care about education equity, increases political and public will to act on equity issues, and increases college access and completion for historically underserved students.
We are thrilled to be expanding this work into the years that precede K-12 education, and are looking for the right person to help us shape this work. For additional information on The Education Trust, please visit www.edtrust.org.
The Senior Analyst’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Help develop and implement The Education Trust’s early childhood education (ECE) agenda;
- Lead development of The Education Trust’s recommendations for national, state, and local policy and practice related to ECE, including the linkages between early childhood education and K-12 educational systems and specific challenges faced by dual language learners;
- Gather and use quantitative and qualitative data to identify and tell compelling stories of places that have successfully implemented equity-focused ECE policies and practices to improve outcomes for historically underserved groups;
- Contribute to the policy and data analysis work of the P-12 Resource Equity Department by helping to identify and explore the interactions between (in)equitable access to high quality early childhood educational opportunities and other critical educational resources; and
- Represent The Education Trust regarding its early childhood education work with various audiences, including policymakers, journalists, educators, and advocates.
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- At least 5-7 years of experience (in professional and/or advanced educational environments) conducting policy analysis in early childhood education at the state or national level, preferably on issues related to equity and improving opportunity and outcomes for low-income children and children of color.
- Understanding of federal and state policy contexts that affect early childhood education, and a vision for improving these policies and practices.
- Strong relationships with leaders in the early childhood education policy, research, practice, and advocacy worlds, or the proven ability to develop those relationships quickly.
- Demonstrated success communicating effectively with general audiences – in a variety of written and oral formats and contexts – about complex policy and practice issues.
- Excellent analytic skills and experience using data (preferably both qualitative and quantitative) to support policy development.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in conducting analyses, developing policy recommendations, and presenting findings (both in writing and orally).
- Possession of a doctorate, master’s degree, or equivalent in public policy, education, psychology, sociology, or related field.
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them;
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently;
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence;
- Healthy respect for colleagues;
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented;
- Strong sense of honor and integrity; and
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.
The Education Trust is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.