The Education Trust, named one of the three most effective education organizations on Capitol Hill, seeks a Staff Accountant to support the work of the organization’s finance team. Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Staff Accountant will have primary responsibility for accounts payable and accounts receivable activities and will assist the Accounting Manager with other accounting responsibilities including general ledger and monthly close activities.
Washington, DC Office
We are fierce advocates for the high academic achievement of all students – pre-kindergarten through college, particularly those of color or living in poverty. Many organizations speak up for the adults employed by schools; we speak up for the students, especially those whose needs and potential are often overlooked. Through both research and advocacy, our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement that consign far too many young people—especially those from low-income families or who are black, Latino, or American Indian—to lives on the margins of the American mainstream. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders across the country in transforming schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our state and national policy agendas. For additional information on The Education Trust, please visit www.edtrust.org.
The Staff Accountant’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Accounts Payable
- Assist with the implementation and ongoing staff training on the use of automated accounts payable electronic software.
- Receive and review accounts payable vouchers (check requests, travel expense reports, consultant activity reports, vendor invoices) and work with staff, vendors, and clients to resolve payment issues.
- Accurately process all employee expense reports for payment and billing to clients.
- Accurately process daily accounts payable invoices and payments in accordance with the Education Trusts’ payment policies, including entering vouchers and creating invoices in QuickBooks, coding payments for 1099 processing, preparing for check runs, and mailing out payments.
- Process, file and maintain all vendor contracts.
- Accounts Receivable
- Receive and process incoming checks for bank deposits per Ed Trust’s accounts receivable process.
- General Accounting
- Organize, file, and maintain all accounting and contract documentation.
- Reconcile credit card statements.
- Input payroll data, changes and information into the ADP payroll system
- Train new employees on timecards
- Month-end Close
- Update cost allocation schedule from payroll records and vendor invoices.
- Review and reconcile trial balance and general ledger accounts.
- Prepare journal entries.
- Financial Reporting
- Assist in preparing interim and final funder reports by tracking down expenses that have been submitted, exporting data from QuickBooks, etc.
- Assist with special projects.
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- A degree in accounting
- A minimum of 2 years of work experience as a staff accountant
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel,Word and QuickBooks
- Experience with ADP payroll software preferred
- Must be detail oriented and well organized
- Demonstrated ability to meet and work under tight deadlines
- Excellent oral communication and people skills
- A team player who can provide excellent customer service to both internal and external customers
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence
- Healthy respect for colleagues
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented
- Adapt and embrace new ideas
- Strong sense of honor and integrity
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor
- Observes confidentiality in all organizational and client matters
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.