The Education Trust, named one of the three most effective education organizations on Capitol Hill, seeks a Digital Advocacy Associate to support the work of the organization’s Government Affairs & Communications division.
Reporting to the Senior Associate of Digital Communications, this position will be responsible for monitoring, analyzing, and growing the digital influence of The Education Trust via social media, email, and traditional web traffic, and for cultivating a community of digital advocates built around our mission.
Washington, DC Office
We are fierce advocates for the high academic achievement of all students – pre-kindergarten through college, particularly those of color or living in poverty. Many organizations speak up for the adults employed by schools; we speak up for the students, especially those whose needs and potential are often overlooked. Through both research and advocacy, our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement that consign far too many young people—especially those from low-income families or who are black, Latino, or American Indian—to lives on the margins of the American mainstream. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders across the country in transforming schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our state and national policy agendas. For additional information on The Education Trust, please visit www.edtrust.org.
The Digital Advocacy Associate’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Manage daily posting and monitoring of all Ed Trust social media channels;
- Monitor social conversations and identify opportunities to participate in discussions;
- Write and edit, in collaboration with other Ed Trust staff, communication materials, such as digital media promotion tool kits, blog posts, and email alerts (informative and take-action);
- Participate as a member of our web team by ensuring our content is timely and makes optimal use of emerging communications tools and vehicles;
- Provide technical assistance on digital media tools and campaign communications to state-level advocates; and
- Contribute to regular reporting on the impact of our communications efforts.
Candidates should enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment in which expectations are high for both the quality and speed of work. In addition, we are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- 2-3 years of experience in digital advocacy and organizing with demonstrated ability to grow support and foster increasing levels of engagement. Experience in education policy is a plus;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to effectively develop and communicate information to target audiences;
- The ability to prioritize and multi-task in a demanding, strategic, fast-paced environment;
- Solid follow-through and attention to detail;
- Strong computer skills, experience with social media publishing and reporting tools, WordPress website management. Advocacy management and email marketing platforms is a plus;
- An understanding of the role of digital communications in achieving advocacy goals and policy change; and
- The ability to speak and write Spanish is a plus.
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them;
- Self-starter mentality and the ability to work independently;
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence;
- Healthy respect for colleagues;
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented;
- Strong sense of honor and integrity; and
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust offers a comprehensive benefits package.