Ensuring low-income students and students of color have access to strong instruction is one of the most important things we can do to raise achievement and close gaps. To equip educators, advocates, and policymakers working to accomplish this goal, we:
- Analyze data to identify where inequities exist.
- Advocate for actions that schools, districts, states, and the federal government can take to get strong teachers in the classrooms of the low-income students and students of color who need them most. These actions include:
- Improving working conditions so that high-need schools are better able to attract and keep strong teachers;
- Providing all teachers, especially those serving struggling students, high-quality instructional supports;
- Developing strong systems of evaluation and feedback for teachers, and using the results to build systems of professional development, staffing, and compensation that prioritize strong teaching in high-need schools ; and
- Supporting more substantive teacher preparation.
- Learn from the work of teachers getting results for low-income students and students of color and share those lessons broadly
- Help educators create high-quality assignments.
- Support a network of districts that are implementing plans to attract, develop, and retain teachers in high-need schools.
Building and Sustaining Talent: Creating Conditions in High-Poverty Schools that Support Effective Teaching and Learning
Interim Director of P-12 ResearchAs interim director of P-12 research, Ashley conducts primary and secondary research to inform decision-makers at the national, state, and local levels and to generate knowledge that can help practitioners rai...
Teacher Quality Data AnalystRachel researches, cleans, analyzes, and interprets key teacher data, with a focus on understanding patterns of access to strong, well-supported teachers for low-income students and students of color. Rachel j...
Assistant Director of P-12 PolicyAs Assistant Director of P-12 Policy, Allison develops and conducts data and policy analyses related to trends in student achievement and achievement gaps, accountability, school and district improvement, coll...