Equity-Driven • Data-Centered • Student-Focused
The Education Trust is a national nonprofit that works to close opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color and students from low-income families. Through our research and advocacy, Ed Trust supports efforts that expand excellence and equity in education from preschool through college, increase college access and completion particularly for historically underserved students, engage diverse communities dedicated to education equity, and increase political and public will to act on equity issues.
How We Advance Our Mission
Although many organizations speak up for the adults employed by schools and colleges, we speak up for students, especially those whose needs and potential are often overlooked. We evaluate every policy, every practice, and every dollar spent through a single lens: what is right for students. We carry out our mission in three primary ways:
- We work alongside educators, parents, students, policymakers, and civic and business leaders in communities across the country, providing practical assistance in their efforts to transform schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well.
- We analyze local, state, and national data and use what we learn to help build broader understanding of achievement and opportunity gaps and the actions necessary to close them.
- We actively work to shape and influence national and state policy, bringing lessons learned from on-the-ground work and from unflinching data analyses to build the case for policies that will help all students reach high levels of achievement.
Our Core Beliefs
- We believe in the power of education to close the gaps that separate students from low-income backgrounds and students of color from other young Americans.
- We believe schools and colleges, appropriately organized, can help virtually all students master the knowledge they need to succeed.
- We believe long-standing gaps in opportunity, achievement, and attainment have roots inside and outside of schools. And though we know these gaps are stubborn, we also know they are not inevitable.
- We believe a strong education improves the lives of young people, is vital to sustaining our democracy, and strengthens America.