How Does Texas Support Students’ Social, Emotional, and Academic Development (SEAD)?
Apr 12, 2023
Social, emotional, and academic development (SEAD) is a holistic approach to supporting students’ development and learning that is integral to ensuring positive outcomes in school and beyond. Schools must ensure students experience healthy development and rigorous learning. Unfortunately, students of color, students from low-income backgrounds, and other underserved students often do not have positive learning experiences.
There are six key policy issues that state leaders can implement to create equitable and safe learning environments that promote positive SEAD for all students. School and district leaders should:
- Develop inclusive school discipline and dress code policies
- Provide meaningful professional development and supports for all adults in schools
- Ensure equitable access and support for success in rigorous and culturally sustaining curricula
- Engage students, families, and communities as full partners
- Provide access to integrated wraparound services and supports
- Diversify the educator workforce